WHAT IS ALGON
The formation of ALGON started far back as November 2nd 1995. ALGON is an association of seven hundred and seventy four (774), Local Government in Nigeria. Its membership includes all the Local Government Chairmen and it has State Chapters headed by State Chairmen who are national vice presidents, in some cases also principal officers of the association.
- To promote and protect the interest, rights, privileges and autonomy of Local Governments at all times.
- Encourage Local Government execute the functions constitutionally assigned to them efficiently and effectively.
- Promote and encourage professionalism in Local and Government Services and contribute towards the improvement of Local Government Administration and services
- Provide a forum for discussion among members and with other relevant bodies on matters of interest to Local Government.
- Express the views/opinions of Local Government on Federal/State Government policies/legislation affecting them as well as on other Local Government issues of national and global concerns.
- Offer advisory services to members and disseminate information on matters of importance to Local Government.
- Encourage investigation research into matters relating to Local Government.
- Promote inter-Local Government co-operation/networking and joint ventures
- Initiate such actions, as may be desirable and necessary to advance the interest of Local Government as a third tier of Government.
- The periodical organization of Local, States, National and International Training Programmes, courses, congress, seminars and conference;
- Collection, collation, study and distribute of information in the field of Local Government.
- The provision of facilities, and services, including provision of journals, magazines and other documentaries to improve Local Government administration in Nigeria.
- Rendering expert advice and services on Local Government matters;
- Providing consultancy services intended to enhance the availability of high level manpower for Local Government.
- Providing support services to Local Governments.
- Advising the State and Federal Governments on Local Governments policies and other related matters
- Co-operations with other national and international bodies on matters of common interest to Local Governments;
- Organizing exchange Programmes for Local Government within and outside the Country;
- All other lawful functions which may further the objectives of the Association